Keto Pie Crust with Heirloom Tomatoes and Goat Cheese: The nutty flavor of our favorite gluten-free pie crust pairs perfectly with sweet and savory fillings. Added almond oil and MCT oil in our Keto Almond Baking Flour means you use less butter than traditional crusts. Try it with the season’s best heirloom tomatoes and creamy goat cheese for a delicious keto friendly appetizer. Keto, Gluten-Free, Peanut-Free, Paleo, Vegetarian.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Noosh Keto Almond Baking Flour, almond flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer on low, add in the very cold butter. The texture should form coarse, pea-sized crumbs. Add cold water to the mixture, working one tablespoon at a time, while mixing at low speed. Once the pea-sized crumbs begin to clump together, turn the mixer off and incorporate with your hands.
- Form the mixture into a flat disc and wrap tightly in cling wrap. Store in the freezer for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- On a sheet of parchment paper, roll out the dough into a wide circle, at least 12 inches across. For rustic crostatas or galettes, roll out the dough to ¼” thickness. Cover with parchment paper, forming a sandwich between the paper and the dough, and pop the dough in the freezer for 15 minutes to ensure pliability.
- While the dough is chilling, add goat cheese and heavy cream to a medium bowl. Mix with a fork until the cheese is soft and spreadable.
- For traditional pies, remove the top sheet of parchment paper, place your pie dish upside down on top of the dough. Carefully flip them both up right side up, so dough sits inside the pie pan. Remove the final layer of parchment paper. Gently press the dough into the pan and prick a few holes with a fork. Blind bake the dough for 15 minutes or until the dough is golden and slightly firm. Spread a thick layer of the goat cheese mixture on the bottom on crust. Then generously top with tomato slices. Brush the edges of the crust with egg white. Continue to bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees, checking occasionally on the darkness of the crust. If it begins to get dark, cover the edges with tinfoil. Once the cheese is bubbly, remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with chives and enjoy.
- For rustic crostatas or galettes, center the dough on a large baking sheet and remove the top layer of parchment paper. Working quickly and carefully, spread a thick layer of the goat cheese mixture on the bottom on crust. Then generously top with tomato slices. If the dough is too soft and breaks, pop the whole thing in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Gently fold the edges of the dough up and over the tomatoes. Brush the edges of dough with egg white and bake for 30-40 minutes. To ensure the bottom bakes evenly, using the parchment paper, turn the crostata in the baking sheet every 10-15 minutes. If it begins to get dark, cover the edges with tinfoil. When the crust is deep golden brown and the cheese is bubbly, remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with chives and enjoy.
1 ½ cups Noosh Keto Almond Baking Flour
¼ cup almond flour
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter, cubed
2 tablespoon ice cold water
8 oz. fresh goat cheese, preferably chevre
3 tablespoons heavy cream
2-3 cups mixed heirloom tomatoes, sliced
1 egg white, to brush edges
Chives, for garnish